Wednesday 5 February 2014

Post Whole30. Where was I? … Where am I now?




Day 0, you will recall, I was ashamed.  I was in a rather rubbish state of health.  I was ashamed because I had been in really good shape and great health previously.  I had once upon a time had a healthy outlook on life and had always made a really conscious decision not to eat anything out of a packet.  I consumed nothing processed and I had been tee-total for over 10 years!  I had an excellent figure, a sensible BMI and was very fit and healthy.  I was proud to have run 13 half marathons, 2 duathlons and 3 race for life events.  On day 0 I even confessed  the fact that my child was profoundly Autistic and barely slept didn't used to make me tired either.  So what happened?  well, unfortunately life happened ... marriage separation, divorce, house move, new job and new partner happened …. Oh, and a 3 stone weight gain happened!

I had basically slipped and become someone I didn’t even recognise anymore.  I had, over time, reintroduced alcohol and all kinds of processed food.  I had even switched my daily 2 litres of water for nearly as much Pepsi and it was killing me.

So, 31 days ago I was at that point when you know you have to do something but all you can do is cry because of the impossible task in front of you and lets face it no one really enjoys hard work especially with no guaranteed results do they? and by that I mean a low calorie commercial diet which basically make you miserable and if you do get lucky and lose some weight you don't actually feel better.

It was no good to keep asking myself ‘how an earth did I let that slip away?’ Because I had and somehow it was time to look forward.  Thankfully my good friend (who clearly loved me more than I loved myself) told me all about Whole30 and I was instantly hooked.  This was just what I needed - a new and sensible lifestyle choice.


30 whole days later (and all those days are blogged) I have completely Whole30 and the results speak for themselves. I never once felt resentful or deprived and I never had any of the flu like symptoms or anger issues I had prepared myself for. It still would have been worth it by the way!

I had only one headache for the whole duration and that was the first day which I suspect kicking my Pepsi addiction was the cause.  Only one headache in a month is crazy for me as I constantly had head aches before which I always blamed on my tiredness.  Talking of which ....  I slept better.  I don’t generally sleep much and I certainly couldn’t/can't get the recommended 8 hours a night, try as I might, but my boy keeps me up with his nocturnal activities and nappy changes.  However,  I noticed on the same amount of rubbish sleep I felt more refreshed and rested.  My skin was/is clearer and I am told I look fresher.  My partner told me I look brighter and in a weird way younger too but I think that's because I am happier.  Am I allowed to say I think he fancies me more?? Anyway, my hair dresser said my hair condition had changed for the better and my eyes were sparkling,  “so what are you up to?” she asked wanting to know my secret which of course I shared.

It was never going to be about the weight loss as for me it was about taking control back and feeling good again.  I still lost 9 lbs in weight bringing my BMI down from 29.1 to 27.7. Result. Furthermore and probably the most fascinating thing for me was that I dropped an inch off my hip measurement, an inch off the top of each thigh and a whopping 3 inches off both my bust and my stomach.

I can honestly say that I have found my Whole30 journey totally enjoyable as I now feel fantastic and incredibly optimistic. I have therefore decided to keep going but to just have the odd thing off plan when I really need to – like if I was at a wedding banquet or out on a special occasion and it was not possible to eat so clean.  I have chosen that most of all I want to stay eating clean and I definitely wont let any Pepsi back in the house.  I believe in Whole30 not as a diet but as a way of life and a lifestyle choice I choose.

In short, Whole30 made me determined, whole30 gave me my life and health back but one thing Whole30 did not do …. was make me hungry :)




No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments. Thank you